WILFs: Can describe and explain the cultural recovery in Weimar Germany (C).... can give examples of Weimar artists and writers describing their contributions (C).. Can assess the impact of art and culture on society and politics (B)
The 1920s became in Germany a time of real cultural creativity,
with developments in Architecture, Art, Books, Films and Cabaret.
Famous figures of this period include:
The Bauhaus school of architecture, founded by Walter Gropius and including the artist Paul Klee.
The singer and film star Marlene Dietrich,
The artist and communist George Grosz
The novelist Erich Maria Remarque, who wrote the anti-war novel All Quiet on the Western Front.
Below is a Case Study presentation of one of these figures
1. Starter - Watch the clip then complete Exercise 1
2. Promenade your partner and discuss - What was art and culture like in Weimar Germany 1924-29?
3. Stand and Share
4. Read and take notes from the PPT
5. Mix Pair Share these questions
a) Describe art and culture in Weimar Germany
b) Who opposed Weimar art and culture and why
(In a Mixed Pair share, partner A is given 3 minutes to answer the Q. Partner B listens and coaches. Partner B
then has to paraphrase back all the points made and evaluate)
6. Table research for display work on today's WALT. Each group will be given a specific individual to research and present. Use the research links, your textbook and the library as resources.
7. Roaming review - what can you learn from the displays of others
8. Plenary - Vision On - Draw a picture as the music plays to depict what you have learnt in today's lesson (no words allowed). When time is called share and interpret X3 with class colleagues